Friday, May 1, 2009

Our trip to SoCal

Was fantastic! SO good to see everyone. Of course I gave them like.. 36 hours notice or something, so most had to work- but it was super duper great regardless. It was the first time the boys had been down there.We saw Brian and Sarah (and stayed at their apartment), Dad and Linda, Grandma, Aunt Susan and Uncle John, Aunt Laura, Allen, and John, and the Huses (Dad's next door neighbors). We went to the LA Zoo (baby's first time) and Ventura beach (both boys' first time) with Sarah. We were going to go to the zoo in Santa Barbara/San Diego/over that-a-way, but Brian and Sarah's awesome possum downstairs neighbor, Mark, gave us two free tickets to the LA Zoo. Yay Mark! I discovered that I do not know my creatures as well as I thought.. I'd be like... oh there's a prcupine...but then I'd see the sign and it would be like a cidead or something. This happened alot. Several of the animals I saw looked like mutant cross-breeds, but supposedly were not. There also seemed to be like 50 things that looked like odd deer. There was a baby giraffe (so cute) and a rhino who's horn had been amputated due to infection (weird). We saw crocodiles.. and there were a couple of seals.. one was lazy and floating in the water, the other was swimming circles around it. This was, at the time, more humorous than it sounds now. I didn't htink about the sadness of the zoo until hte end when we were checking out the birds and I saw a red-tailed hawk in the cage... and of course it had no room to soar at all.. eh... still an awesome time though! No elephants, because they're doing construction or something, but we did get the opportunity to spot some wild tractors in their natural habitat. We thought the zoo would be packed, because there were so many school buses in the parking lot. SO many. But it wasn't bad. I was going to put Terry in this bright green shirt, but thankfully chose another one- a whole school group was wearing bright green... and he would have happily gone along with them. OOoooo and they had flamingos. I love the tackiness of flamingos. Well and they're just such a happy color. La la la.
On to the ocean...we saved a bird from drowning, but then didn't really know what to do with it so took it away from the people and hoped nothing would eat it. And then wondered about what kind of crazy bird disease it could have. There is a playground on the beach....which is cool.....um but the people there were intimidating enough that Sarah and I decided not to lecture them on what words are not appropriate for the playground. But they left, and we did not get beat up. YAY! Terry had a great time standing in the water. I have a thing about seaweed...and water.... so I love the ocean and am petrified. But Terry held my hand and gently led me into the water, telling me "Eeeeeverything's gonna be alright, Mom". What a great kid, huh? And it was okay.... until suddenly the seaweed appeared. It must have finally sensed my presence in the water. Ridiculous. Yay for Sarah, yet again saving the day. And Mom for driving, too. It was awesome to see Brian all Mr. Professional status, and actually up and about at such early hours! What a rad uncle. We watched Bolt, Igor, and WallE. Well they did and I glanced here and there. I did try to watch Wall E in German at like 2 am. I'll have to try again sometime, little robot is cute in any language. Oh and Bride Wars. Kate Hudson looked alot like her mom in that movie.
We all went to church with Dad and Linda, and this bible study group afterwards. It was very nice...the after-study dealie was about the Bethels in life and I really, really was glad I got to hear that. Dad, like Brian, is Mr. Popularity, and it was neat to see the interactions between him and others.we also went over to Dad's house.. He and Terry caught one lizard and two ladybugs..it was very peaceful sitting in the yard, it's on the edge of a canyon and it was just nice to kick back...well what else... the car ride went better than expected. The boys slept mostly. On the way there anyway. On the way back up the baby pooped mostly. At every stop he had a messy diaper. Yes.. I consider this worthy of blogging. I guess that's it for now. I will probably blog about what's going on currently with Matt and me so that way you can read it or not, but it'll be out there.

1 comment:

Shellie said...

Wow... sounds like a blast... love, aunt shellie