Wednesday, December 30, 2009

More wonderful news

I went to court yesterday to settle the ongoing custody dispute between Gavin's dad- Matt- and me. And Gramcie came with me for support (thanks again!)
The judge reduced Matt's time from every weekend Friday at 12 to Sunday at 6pm, with Thursdays during the day too, to him having only the 1st, 2nd, and 4th weekends from Friday at 12 to Sunday at 6pm. On the off weekends (3rd and 5th weekends) he has Thursday from 12 to 5 pm. Wow. We continue to have joint custody, with me as the primary caregiver.
I love this judge, because he's able to actually evaluate situations for himself, instead of instantly signing off on the mediator's recommendation- which was, by the way, to keep everything the same. One of my favorite parts (second to the judge changing visitation) was when Matt was saying I'm neglectful because I didn't have heat a few weeks ago, and the judge's response before moving on was: "Well maybe she doesn't have heat because she's not getting any child support." Take that! Ha! Thank you very much, Mr. Judge. Also, not sure if you all know this or not, but Gavin's name was legally changed to Thomas Wayne (eew) Whitley when he was a few months old, but Matt's family and mine call him Gavin of course. So Matt tried to get the judge to order us all to not call him Gavin anymore, and the judge said he doesn't see why it matters whether he's Gavin or Thomas and then moved on. And the judge called him Gavin the whole time, not Thomas. So there.
I'm so happy! Not only will the boys and I have more time with each other, we'll also have more freedom to be able to go plces, we'll be able to go to La for more than a few days, etc. Life is good. 2010 is going to be a great year.. onward and upward!

4 comments:

Richard said...

Congratulatons and w00t!

Carol said...

Jen was so calm and collected - and I so proud of her. I had to restrain myself to keep from shouting out "That's not true!!!" when Matt was stating his case. The big question is, why do men have to be so deceitful in courtrooms?

Jen said...

Thank you Richzor and Gramcie.

Shellie said...

Oohhh... success for you! YAY! And, a new name for Uncle Richzor... I LIKE IT! Happy New Year!