Saturday, March 21, 2009
Let's hear it for...*drumroll*..Graves Disease! (warning: boring post)
So.... I think it's about time go get my thyroid hormone level thing-a-ma-jigs tested... actually I should have done it awhile ago, but just haven't gotten around to it.. and the symptoms haven't been really bad. When I was pregnant with Tommy I actually was able to stop taking it completely because my throid stuff went from hyper to hypo and because Tommy was developing a goiter (I despise this word so much that I cringe even writing it). But I can tell they are getting progressively worse, so it would be good to at least start monitoring it again. The symptoms aren't unbearable.. however if it needs to be treated and if it isn't it can cause lots of fun problems with the heart and such kind of important things. So since I don't generally want to damage my body, I think I'm going to end up back on the PTU. I felt fine physically taking it, but there are several reasons why I would love to avoid taking something artificial.... I don't trust/don't want to support the pharmaceutical companies (*hiss*), and part of me really doesn't like the feeling of the magic pill that makes everything better that I'd be lost without..when they wanted me to stop taking it completely I was so scared because I thought I was going to feel like I did before and not be able to do anything about it....PTU isn't physically addictive-but I had this mental dependance on it.. On the other hand it's kind of like..which is worse... leaving this untreated can cause damage and be dangerous now, not just 40 years down the line. Not to mention I'm eating all the food in the house..constantly... so it's more expensive not to treat it. I tried looking up diet and Graves Disease (what a lousy name) last night online and..well..information is a blessing and a curse. Because there are so many contradictions, and I really should take it all with a grain of salt, but there's always at least a short time period where it freaks me out.. one site says eat lots of grains to be healthy, another says eating lots of grains encourages disease,one says low fat, another says high fat(because of being hungry all the time)... one says no meat, another says only food that has been around for more than 40,000 years (seriously...40,000 I think it was called a Paleolithic Diet), one says soy is good, another says soy is very bad for the thyroid issues. Actually I get the soy thing but come on man, I'm trying to go vegetarian and hey, maybe sometimes I want a fake chili cheese dog, ok? And soy is everywhere in one form or another, so I think ultimately I have to stop flipping out on random stuff I read and just try to eat a healthy, balanced diet, manage my stress (HAHAHAHAH), which is oh so very easy to do-when I'm not stressed.. and get moderate exercise. And drink water. ><
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
... and play lots of ping pong. Lots.
Yes, lots of exploring a health issue does lead to lots of theories and that leads to further confusion. The one thing you do know is that you need the treatment that works - the diet part is probably what you find works for you. It is amazing to me how much I have hated "taking pills" - and here I am, twice a day
pigging out on pills. Of course, I prefer pills to the other option!
I would hate to see you return to all the anxiety - just being a young mother provides enuf of that!
Love you and looking forward to seeing you later? G
Did you know Gramcie has a beer pong game dealy? 'Tis true. Which brings me to.. (this according to The Daily Show with John Stewart)all the main news networks were covering this story about how the Center for Disease Control had stated that beer pong is spreading herpes.. one station even had a demonstration of beer pong... later everyone found out that the CDC had not in fact released any such statement, and that it sprang from a humorous college newspaper article...which was never intended to be taken seriously. As if we needed another reason not to believe the news...
Ummm... what is beer pong and why does Gramcie have one?
Beer pong is something along the lines of... you try to hit the ping pong ball into a cup filled with...well...beer... and then I think someone else drinks it. Or you do. I don't know. I missed out (tragically) on ever doing this..
As to why she has one... well Gramcie just likes to keep us on our toes. Expect the unexpected. I'm convinced she got it for thoase wild nights with her mysterious gentleman friend. If you skip the beer part it's a regular mini ping pong game. And it's fun. We'll have to hvae ping pong championships next time. Woot woot.
Post a Comment